Sunday 21 November 2010

Dear World - Modern Life

Dear World.

I have realised a few things as I lived my life.

The first thing is that Firefox has a spell checker and I believe it's set to US English, and not Welsh English....

Damn you, you hound of flames...

Also, I've started to have a sort of a don't speak unless spoken to idea on life. Y'know, it's like, I have nothing interesting to talk about (and you would agree if you have read my blog, there's nothing interesting there... just bizarre...), so why talk? Why burden other people with useless information that is, well, useless? Saying that, it doesn't mean that I won't talk back if you start talking to me, it's just that I'm not the best conversationalist.

I can't think of a time where I started a conversation with a comment. It has next to always been a question. Ask either the editor of Clic or Wicid, they'd probably agree. Nearly every email I have sent them, I have asked a question. The only other times when I start a conversation is when I tell someone about something, like 'I have that thing you asked for', or 'someone's looking for you' or something informative like that.

I cannot remember starting a conversation with something like “oh, Chelsea was terrible last night” or “man, I'm really craving a McDonald's”. It makes no sense to me to start a conversation like that. Adding to the fact that I do not go out much, that I don't watch a load of films and the like, I haven't got much to talk to. Granted, if you asked me about Photoshop or how to execute a legspin delivery in cricket, then I can help you. But I am rather rubbish with 'normal' conversations.

And, to be fair, that ideal has gone through to Life 2.0, or for the people who didn't get that, online life. It sounds rather pathetic, but I try to keep myself to myself on Facebook and all that. I delete anything on my wall that I don't like, or that says that I've done something. I've gone as far as to delete some groups that I became a fan of because I've saw no point in them. I mean, just because you sing out aloud to songs, doesn't mean joining a group with everyone else that does this makes you superior to everyone who doesn't do it. Or whatever the reason of joining the group is. If it's a way to meet new people, it's not the best way. I've just realized I'm having a rant on something pretty pointless.

That said, I do have a Twitter account. At the point of writing this dear letter to you, world, I have made 2,402 tweets. I have shared nearly two and a half thousand thoughts with the web. But for some reason, I hardly ever update my Facebook status. I have no idea why though. Well, that is a complete lie, I know exactly why. I could never lie to you.

The reason why I don't change my status on Facebook is that I know all the people that I am friends with on Facebook. And the people I am friends with on Facebook, it seems theres some sort of contract there when I approve a friend request (or a friend accepts me). I'm not just accepting their friendship, I'm doing more than that. I'm signing a virtual contract, that binds me to know what is happening in your world, and vice versa. With Twitter, you can choose to follow whoever you like, and they might not follow back. Yes, I am following some of my friends on Twitter and they follow me (for some unexplainable reason), but its a choice. If I decide I don't want to follow you, I can stop. If I don't want to be your friend on Facebook, there's more of a chance that the person I've unfriended will be annoyed than if I stopped following them on Twitter. It is harder to find out a person who's stopped following you on Twitter than it is to find a past friend on Facebook. And for some reason, I like that fact.

For some reasons or other, there have been mini arguments - marguments, if you will – around in the past (and no, come to think of it). I don't know what about, neither do I care. But I tell you one thing, if everyone learned to shut up (or, at least thought about what they said before they said the think), the world would be a better place. Or at least a quieter one. But no, we live in a civilization where free speech entitles people to not think about what they are about to say.

Sometimes, I think it would've been better if humanity didn't progress so quick. Yeah, I know that it's been millions of years of progress, but it's because of this is where we at today. I mean, this age is the age where there's no real fight for survival, no day-by-day life threatening problems (unless you're one of these people that believe a bad hair day is a reasonable reason for committing suicide... and if you are, you need help). The only thing people (well, the majority of people, as it seems to me) worry about is getting high, urinated (or drunk) and getting laid.

Where as, if we were in the same era as the Stone Agers, there'd be a reason to fight, reason to fear. Though, if you think balloons and clowns are reasons to fear, it's not the same as having the fear that your family could die from an unknown virus or just killed in their sleep.

I'd be dead years ago if we lived in that lifestyle, and yet, you wouldn't be reading this. But it's like the further the human race progresses, the need to be aware lessens. If that makes sense.

I don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time where I went into the wilderness, and returned with a mammoth for food. We don't need to now. The biggest animals we kill for food is probably the cow. I may be wrong with that fact, but I mean, we have no need to go hunting dangerous animals for food. And what do we do to fill the gap? We kill our own species in wars for greed. What has humanity come to?

I thank ye, world.

No comments:

Post a Comment